why must cygwin be first in path?

The only way I have found to get GNU Make to execute properly from the NT
Command Shell is to put the cygwin directory first in the PATH variable.
Otherwise, 'make.exe' has that strange delay (about 3 seconds) I mentioned a
while back.  Does this give anyone a clue as to why there is a delay at all?

As a refresher, the delay only occurs if it has been at least 10 seconds
since the last delay commenced.

Steve