Re: compiler for x86-VxWorks targets

Nedialko Krouchev <Nedialko.I.Krouchev@UMontreal.CA> writes:
> I followed to the letter (patches etc. inclusive) Mumit Khan's web-hosted
> step-by-step instructions on building cross compilers created on Fri Feb 19
> 11:56:42 1999.
>
> In step 2, I built CROSS egcs-1.1.2 for Cygwin b20+ instead, as this is now
> the current version.
  (gcc-2.95.2 is the current version, I just haven't updated the docs to
  reflect that, sorry)

Does this mean that you have a Cygwin hosted cross-compiler for
x86-vxworks target?

> However I could not quite follow the thousands of operations that were done
> by configure and make and hence, I am not sure at all of the outcome.
>
> Since the process described is supposedly Unix hosted, it's understandable
> why I got a lot of errors like
>
>         /bin/sh not found.

This is a problem due to the layout of Cygwin b20.

  $ CONFIG_SHELL=bash /path/to/configure [ rest of configure options ]

The CONFIG_SHELL=bash tells the configure to use bash, and not /bin/sh
which doesn't exist in Cygwin b20.1 by default.

I don't know much about vxworks, but you can use my technique to build
it quite easily.

step 1. build the Cygwin hosted VxWorks-targeted cross-compiler. Of
course, I'm assuming that you've installed the vxworks target includes
and libraries in $prefix/i386-vxworks/{include,lib}.

  $ mkdir /tmp/cross
  $ cd /tmp/cross
  $ CONFIG_SHELL=bash /src/egcs-1.1.2/configure \
    --target=/usr/local/vxworks
  $ (cd gcc; make installdirs)
  $ make
  $ make install

now you should do able to use i386-vxworks-gcc to build executables.

You should follow up to crossgcc mailing list if you have questions.
See http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/ for more info.

Regards,
Mumit