Re: c compiler mmx support

"s.rekow" <s.rekow@sh-home.de> writes:

> or you can rebuild gcc with the pgcc-patch (supports mmx); take a look at
> Mumit Kahn's "HOWTO build GCC-2.95.2 on Cygb20.1"

Not if you want reliable code from your compiler. I've run into too many
bugs in pgcc to endorse it, sorry. Btw, similarly for the compiler in
Cygwin v1.0 -- it's faster than gcc-2.95.2 (and for certain types of
code, must faster), but it's too buggy to be reliable.

> PGCC claims to be up to 30% faster than gcc but has no support for the
> latest stuff like PIII's ISSE or K7
> btw, stable stuff is merged into gcc after some time

There's an inherent trade-off with speed and reliability, at least in
this particular case. Some pgcc changes have been merged into gcc
starting with egcs-1.1.x, and more will over time. The new backend,
contributed by Cygnus, is however good enough to stand on its own.

Regards,
Mumit