Re: ld behaving strangely?

"Charles S. Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
> I'm trying to compile sxpm from the xpm-3.4k distribution. (I already
> compiled the library). However, it seems that there is an undefined
> symbol somewhere, because build fails. I'm only guessing about that
> because ld is not providing as much information as I'm used to, and I
> don't know what's going on.
>
> Here's the command:
> gcc -O -I.. -I/usr/X11R6/include sxpm.o -L../lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm
> -lXext -lXt -lX11 -o sxpm
>
> The result:
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [sxpm] Error 1

Hard to tell what's what going unfortunately. See if the following
provides more info:

  $ gcc -Wl,-debug -Wl,--verbose [... rest ...]

You're obviously tripping over a bug in either collect2 or ld (called
by collect2), but the trick is to figure out where ...

To narrow it down, rename collect2.exe to collect2.exe.sav and rerun
and if it still crashes. If so, it's a bug collect2; otherwise it's
in ld. We'll take it from there.

  $ collect2=`gcc -print-prog-name=collect2`
  $ mv $collect2 ${collect2}.sav

Regards,
Mumit