Re[2]: cygwin on 95 slower than NT

Hello Earnie,

Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:

EB> --- J Senthil Kumar <skumar2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Iam using cygwin shell on NT and 95. On windows 95 the shell scripts are
>> considerably slow. Like it take 1-2 seconds for each command. Is this
>> natural?. Is there any parameter to be adjusted in the DOS Shell. Iam a
>> shell maniac I badly need a fast shell on Win95.
>> Could you help?.

   It's known issue of Cygwin (and other POSIX layers, e.g. UWIN).
They all by some reason (probably because they themselves were
developed on NT, without enough attention to other Win32 systems)
count Win9x as 'degraded mode'.

   However, it's possible for Win9x to run console application
decently on some early Pentium (it's of course surprise, since same Pentiums
can play video). My own experiments show that it's possible for Win9x
to run semi-interactive console apps in avarage only about 5 times slower than on
Linux with comporable hardware.

    I still hope make results of this work available some sweet day.

EB> Real Solution: Migrate the Win95 to WinNT.

    Tell that my boss.

EB> Win95 itself is slower than WinNT.  If you must use Win95, make sure that you
EB> only have what is necessary in the PATH variable (can be reset in the ~/.bashrc
EB> file) and avoid network drives in the path.  Secondly, make sure you've read my
EB> pages.

Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:paul-ml@is.lg.ua