Re: what directory to untar snapshot into?

> are the snapshots relative to v1 or b20.1 or what?

Neither.  The snapshots just "are".  They reflect the most recent
sources under development, installed in their natural layout.  Since
v1 is newer than b20.1, the snapshots tend to be more like v1 than
b20.1, but they aren't "relative" to v1.

> what directory should you be in when you untar them?
> i am guessing the answer is /usr, and then fix you PATH
> to list /usr/bin before /bin.

It depends on your system.  You should try to untar it such that it
overwrites the existing files (save them first, of course!) but many
people untar it elsewhere and manually copy in the files they're
interested in working on.

> i am trying to install opendx, and i have the impression that the
> most stable way to do this is with B20.1 and the october 10 snapshot
> (i remember reading this somewhere..)

If you're installing a pre-built program, all you probably need is the
dll, which you can download separately.  Note that the Oct 10 snapshot
may not be available any more; we discard them when they get too old
to save on disk space.