Re: cygwin binaries without cygwin1.dll -- is it possible?

I have also been able to build cross compilers to mips as well as other
targets.  Gas can be built with the mingw32 tools and run native on win32
(e.g. without cygwin1.dll).  If it's just binutils you're building (gas,
etc.) then you can get away with:

./configure --target=mips-mips-elf --host=i386-mingw32 \
	--build=i586-pc-cygwin32 -v

You just have to make sure that you have the mingw32 compiler and tools on
your path (i386-mingw32-gcc, i386-mingw32-gas, etc.).  This also means a
little more work on your part unpackaging mingw32 and setting up file
locations, etc.  This is a Canadian Cross (BUILDing tools to execute on a
HOST machine to generate code for a TARGET).

This is just an abridged version of the process as I don't have the time
to write something more detailed.  You can find more info on cross
compilers from http://www.objsw.com, Mumit Khan's site, and archives of
this list and the crossgcc list.

Hope this helps,

Marcus