XFree86 integration

I have downloaded cygwin, I love it.  My question
would be:  How do you compile the xc dir after you
have extracted all the files.
On the installation instructions it tells you what to
do.  I have edited the .def and .cf files appropiate
for cygwin.  I entered the command lines given to
compile:
% xc/make World >& World.log &
% xc/tail -f World.log

and then supposedly if that works (which is where I am
stuck)

% root/make install >& install.log &

When I do this I get World.log
but tail just stalls, does nothing, as if World.log
did anyting but bring up another empty file
did I miss the bootflagstrap somewhere within .def or
.cf ???  I went over both several times.

I am running Cygwin32 off of Win98, if that bit helps
any.

Thanx for the time,
Chip Avach
Chip_vs_theWorld@yahoo.com