RE: Future releases and packages

> If somebody (or somebodies) would like to volunteer to do something
> like
> this, I'll guarantee time to work with them.  Until then, DJ and I
> will
> keep plugging along.
[Andrew Dalgleish]
Finding volunteers is probably the least of your problems.

I'm sure there are plenty of people (including myself) who will
volunteer to look after a sub-set of packages.
(I am already doing that internally where I work.
I'm sure there are others in the same boat.)

(warning - flame war on the event horizon :-)
What packaging system should we use?

Will the packaging system have to support all possible installation
layouts?
It is possible to install cygwin in so (too?) many ways.
I use a dedicated drive letter for my root mount and a full FHS-style
tree.
Other users may want to use a sub-dir for the root, or a simpler
directory layout.

Then there is the text vs binary issue for scripts, etc in each package.
I'm fairly sure no current Linux package manager has to handle that. :-)
(We have to support CR-NL in case the user edits a vital file using
notepad,
but we can't install text files if someone is using binary mounts.)

Should we say "We support X. If you want Y you are on your own."?
There will still be a lot of list traffic for the "Frank Sinatra"
installations.
"I did everything just like it said in the readme, except different
because..."

Of course none of these are insurmountable problems,
but they must be addressed up front.