RE: How to build static lib's - prob with gtk/glib

Mumit Khan writes:

>You need to ask the GTK folks about it. --disable-shared should have
>created static libs only, but for some packages, that is not an option.
>It's not possible to tell what the problem is from just what you've
>posted, sorry.

Here is a snippet of the output from running configure:

checking for ld used by GCC... /bin/ld.exe
checking if the linker (/bin/ld.exe) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
updating cache ./config.cache
checking for object suffix... o
checking for executable suffix... .exe
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... none
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions ... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... -static
checking if the linker (/bin/ld.exe) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the linker (/bin/ld.exe) supports shared libraries... yes
checking command to parse /bin/nm -B output... ok
checking for /bin/ld.exe option to reload object files... -r
checking dynamic linker characteristics... Win32 ld.exe
checking if package supports dlls... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no

It seams that the configure script is broken because even though I specify
using no static libs, it still checks for whether libtool support shared
libs and it still tries to create the shared libs. I realize this is not the
fault of the compiler.

Here is the snipped of output from the build process:

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -Wall  -o libgdk.la -rpath
/usr/local/lib -version-info 5:0:5 -release
1.2 -export-dynamic -L/usr/X11/lib -lXext -lX11 -lipc -lm gdk.lo gdkcc
libtool: link: warning: undefined symbols not allowed in i686-pc-cygwin
shared libraries

Thanks to everyone who posted information regarding windows versions of gtk
but I'm only interested in building this under cygwin using X.

Kevin