ssh / rsync / SIGCHLD errors.

I've been trying to hack together a working ssh/rsync system to push content
out to some NT boxes I administer.  After two days of tweaking Cygwin and
staring at the archives, I think I am -><- this close to getting this
working.  I found some problem reports similar to mine, but no answers to
them.

I have the sshd-1.2.26 from www.lexa.ru working fine with the stock Cygwin
b20.1 usertools.exe stuff (the coolview DLL crashes everytime I run a
Cygwin-based binary, so I can't seem to use that).  I can ssh into my NT
box, tool around in a bash session, works dandy.  When I attempt to rsync
(using the rsync-2.3.1 found at paddington.ic.una.nl) from my Linux box to
the NT box, using the command:

  rsync -v -v -z --rsh=ssh . emerson@emerson:/tmp

(Yes, both the remote host and the desired username are 'emerson') the
client side does this:

--------------------------
emerson@emertroid:~$ rsync -v -v -z --rsh=ssh . emerson@emerson:/tmp
emerson@emerson's password:
Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding, perhaps xauth program could not
be run on the server side.
log: executing remote command as user emerson
Could not chdir to home directory : No such file or directory
Environment:
  HOME=
  USER=emerson
  LOGNAME=emerson
  SHELL=/bin/bash
  SSH_CLIENT=10.1.1.194 1022 22

skipping directory .
total: matches=0  tag_hits=0  false_alarms=0 data=0
wrote 17 bytes  read 16 bytes  5.08 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
emerson@emertroid:~$
--------------------------

...and the server side does this:

--------------------------
Key generation complete.
log: RSA key generation complete.
debug: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
log: Connection from 10.1.1.194 port 1022
debug: Client protocol version 1.5; client software version 1.2.27
debug: Sent 768 bit public key and 1024 bit host key.
debug: Encryption type: idea
debug: Received session key; encryption turned on.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug: Attempting authentication for emerson.
debug: RhostsRSA authentication failed for 'emerson', remote 'emerson', host
'em
ertroid.dellajames.com'.
debug: RSA authentication for emerson failed.
log: Password authentication for emerson accepted.
debug: Received request for X11 forwarding with auth spoofing.
debug: Executing command 'rsync --server -vvz . /tmp'
debug: Entering interactive session.
debug: Received SIGCHLD.
debug: End of interactive session; stdin 17, stdout (read 16, sent 16),
stderr 2
13 bytes.
debug: Command exited with status 0.
debug: Received exit confirmation.
log: Closing connection to 10.1.1.194
admin@emerson:/usr/local/sbin$

I've seen a couple passing references to SIGCHLD issues in the archives, but
no good explanation as to what I might be doing wrong.

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance.