Re: New snapshots and old binaries

Jon Maltz <jmaltz@nema.com> writes:
> Sigh...
>
> I installed Cygwin b20.1 from a newly downloaded full.exe on a test box,
> untar'd Mumit's gcc-2.95, installed coolview, untar'd
> gcc-2.95-dev-ss.tar.gz, and compiled the simplest c++ app I could think of.
>  While I was previously entertained by a ton of ctype errors, it now
> compiles, but won't run.
>
> bash-2.02$ g++ hello.cpp -o test2
> bash-2.02$ ./test2
>     0       0 [main] g:\cygnus\usr\home\test2.exe 1073 handle_exceptions:
> Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>     0   30303 [main] test2 1073 stackdump: Dumping stack trace to
> test2.exe.stackdump
> bash-2.02$

There is a good chance that this is due to a bug in the C++ driver, and
if so, this has been fixed recently (both locally and in GCC CVS tree).
For those who follow the gcc patches list, see the recent patches to fix
memory overrun in the G++ driver and CPP:

   Linkname: (C++) memory overrun fix for arglist in lang_specific_driver

and,

   Linkname: Re: (C++) memory overrun fix for arglist in

Jon, If you'd try out a new driver (g++.exe or c++.exe) to see if it
fixes the problem, please let me know.

In the meantime, just use gcc to compile .cc files; the only gotcha is
that when *linking* C++ code with gcc.exe, you'll have to append -lstdc++
which c++/g++ does automatically.

  $ gcc hello.cpp -o test2 -lstdc++

Regards,
Mumit