Re: Cursors do not work in bash under Win98

Chris Faylor wrote:
> [...]
> The Cygwin code uses standard Win32 API calls to get it's keystrokes.
> I have no idea why there would be problems with arrow keys and I'm not
> going to be much help debugging the problem.
>
> This will require a cygwin developer (Sergey or Corinna perhaps) who use
> a non-US keyboard to isolate and fix the problem, if there is a problem.

I can't. This doesn't happen on NT and I don't use 9X.

But there are more problems with keystrokes that are not specific to
cygwin but are nevertheless disturbing. Example vi: When I learnt
using vi, I learnt three commands which are very convenient:

	Ctrl + 6	change to alternative file
	Ctrl + ^	ditto
	Ctrl + ]	goto tag under cursor

All commands never worked with a vi under cygwin. AFAIK this is a
problem of native keyboards under win32. The key combinations
doesn't unfortunately generate any ascii characters. On the german
keyboard the circumflex is a dead key for national characters (though
not existing in german language), the brackets are only reached by
using the right Alt key (Alt Gr).

Conclusion: The cursor problem of 9X and special key handlings
on native keyboards will result in problems for all times.
I would be glad, if there would be a solution to make a special key
mapping in cygwin that is independent of [no]tty setting and used OS.
This could be e.g. a .cygkey file in the home directory or something
comparable.
IMHO, this should be addressed in the future (b22).

Regards,
Corinna