winsock 2 problem

Hi!
      I'm using EGCS 1.1.2 for Mingw32.  However, my understanding is that
it only supports the winsock version 1.1
    My question is that if i want to use winsock version 2, is it possible
for me just to
build a def file from Ws2_32.dll, then use dlltool to build a library *.a
and use the header
files from microsoft??  Or is there other way to achieve this.