Bug in B20.1 make with mixed case environment variables

B20.1 uses GNU make 3.75 which seems to have a bug or mis-feature
where (DOS) environment variable names are converted to upper case
when made into makefile variables.  (I believe that GNU make 3.77
fixes this problem, so upgrading may be all that's necessary.
Unfortunately, I don't know the exact lineage of the make 3.77
that I have.)