RE: question (latest "stable" dll?) + bugs: vim, bash, gcc, cp, find, less, zip, ls

Christopher,

I took my cygwin1.dll from ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/snapshots/
which doesn't show any mount.exe.  I was looking for the dll closest in date
to the 3/28 date mentioned in the referenced email.  So, after I exited all
cygwin processes and switched in the 5/23 cygwin1.dll and restarted a bash
shell, my mounts were screwed up.  I couldn't even find mount.exe because my
cygwin directory wasn't mounted (i.e. / wasn't mounted properly).  After
some amount of playing around in the registry, I got my cygwin directory
mounted properly, so from that point on I was able to use the old (i.e.
1/16) version of mount to remount my other directories.  If I read your
email correctly, you're saying that there is a newer version of mount.exe
which I could use.  For obvious reasons, I didn't want to download/install
cygwin-inst-XXX (where the new mount.exe is located?) until I had verified
that cygwin1.dll worked ok.

Eventually, I'll probably unpack the bash source and see if I can diagnose
the "cd /; cd x/y" bug.  I agree it does sound like a bash bug.  For now I
have an ugly work around: I defined a bash function which hooks the cd
command and checks if I'm in the root and referencing a relative path which
exists under the root (knowing that . is the first entry in my CDPATH) and
prepends a / to the path before calling the real cd command.

-- John