BIG source files and as.

Hello,

I'm trying to compile some very large c source files (generated
by a simula->c translator) using gcc under cygwin. Using
gcc with options -O and -S activated, the code compiles nicely
into a 4.28MB assembly source file. Then, when I try to assemble
this file using as, I run into problems... After a while, as sais:

BASH.EXE-2.02$ as tts_s.s -otts_s.o
as: tts_s.o: reloc overflow: 0x12b52 > 0xffff
tts_s.o: File truncated
tts_s.s: Assembler messages:
tts_s.s:265504: FATAL: Can't close tts_s.o
: File truncated

I have 160MB RAM, so I find it hard to belive that as is running
out of memory. Besides, cc1 runs ok with -O optimizations turned
on, which must use up a lot more memory...

I'm running cygwin-b20 under win95/OSR2. We have also tried this
on an NT machine, with the same result. Under Linux, the code
compiles just fine (egcs 1.1, as 2.9.1).

Is this a bug in cygwin's as, or what? The message "as: tts_s.o: reloc
overflow: 0x12b52 > 0xffff" seems to indicate that I'm exceeding some
hardcoded limitation in as, but that's just a thought, and it seems
unlikely considering that as works well under Linux.

Unfortunately, splitting up the c-code is not an option. It's one single,
large, terrible function. Splitting up the asm source may be easier, but I
wan't something that could be done by a makefile. Are there any other
AT&T assemblers  that can handle the output from cc1?

If anyone have any idea how to fix this, I'd be grateful.
Please send any answers to my e-mail as well...

Greets,

Lars Andersson - lars_and@algonet.se