build successful (was Re: winsup in EGCS?)

>   $ <srcdir>/configure --prefix=/Cygnus/cygwin-b20 \
>     --exec-prefix=/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32 \
>     -v i586-cygwin32
>
>   $ make bootstrap > make.log 2>&1

I've been trying to use "make blah | tee /something 2&>1" but the error
messages don't get captured in the logfile.

> When it builds, just install it elsewhere:
>
>   $ make prefix=/home/EGCS --exec-prefix=/home/EGCS/H-i586-cygwin32 \
>     install

Oh.  I've never tried to mess around with --exec-prefix.  Never seems
to do what I thought it would, and since "uninstall" has never ever
worked, I don't experiment any more (egcs takes nearly six hours to build
on a P133 with 64MB).

The only real problem is that the stage[123] compilers would be built
with -B./ or -Bstage[12]/ which is fine, and additionally -B${prefix},
which is miserably broken, considering that nothing is supposed to be
in ${prefix} yet.  That one problem causes everything everywhere to
break, since things like ld.exe and crt0.o suddently can't be found.  I
guess it's a bug in configure.

The one-stop-shopping solution is to

   1)  Mount \cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-yadda-yadda as /usr (which is what
       I should have done originally; it took me forever to figure
       out that H-* == usr).

   2)  Configure with --prefix=/usr --enable-languages=c++ (the others
       seem to be impossible regardless of flags).  This means that
       the stage* compilers get called with -B/usr which will allow
       the other backend tools to be found, since they already exist.

   3)  Bootstrap and install as normal.  This will replace the shipped
       version of egcs (1.0.something?) with whatever just got built.

Now if I can work around the different "nan" signatures in the math
library, I can get libstdc++-v3 built.  Cool!

Phil