How to use g++ when paths contain spaces?

Hello,

I can't seem to get my command lines or makefiles right when the path to
my include directories contain spaces.

The two main cases are:

g++ file.cc -I"include dir"
[usage message for cpp]
cpp.exe: too many arguments

or

g++ file.cc -Iinclude\ dir
g++: dir: No such file or directory

I guess quotes are the only way to use spaces in arguments on the Windows
NT command line. Is there any workaround that will let me use the full
path names including spaces? I really don't want to use the short 8+3
names as that would mean rewriting big chunks of my application.

Thanks,

Pontus Lidman