newbie level overview needed

Where does one go for newbie level information about building apps
for Win/NT?

From tidbits gleaned from the FAQ and the mail archive, I have managed to
muddle my way thru building an example app that links to a 3rd party DLL.

I never would have guessed ( and nothing in the docs from the 3rd party
suggests ) that I would have to skip the development lib altogether,
build a xxx.a file from the actual DLL ( which xxx.a file not being
anything like a regular unix shared library ) and link with that.

What I really need to get going on my REAL project is a good overview
of the landscape.  How do lib files, dll's, *.a files relate?  What's
the correct syntax for a .def file?  Are some dll's _not_ "relocatable"?

Something that explains the major pieces of the puzzle without going
into too much detail, so I don't have to do a linear search of the details
every time I get hung up.

Thanks
Jim Roy