RE: bash sees all lines as 80 chars long

It appears we have differing behavior.  I am also running
a stock Cygwin b20.1, except that I have loaded egcs 1.1.2.

I'll try to explain what I'm seeing as precisely as I can:

(I have done the following with CYGWIN set to both 'tty'
and 'notty', with no difference in behavior.)

Execute a bash shell via the installed shortcut:

Start -> Programs -> Cygnus Solutions -> Cygwin B20

which runs 'cygnus.bat', which I have not modified.
'stty size' returns '50 80'  (Note that I never run
'stty' to try to modify anything, only to query what
it thinks is the current window size.)

I then go to the Properties dialog for *this particular
window* by clicking on the Cygnus icon in the upper
left corner.  After changing the window & buffer width
to '110', I select 'Apply properties to current window
only'.  The window is now wider and 'stty size' returns
'50 110'.  Holding down any letter key shows me bash
(readline) is still wrapping lines at 80 chars.

If I execute 'kill -WINCH $$', bash (readline) will now
wrap the input command line correctly (at 110 chars,
or is it 109 chars - who cares, it looks right).

So, I gather in your case you do not need to execute
'kill -WINCH $$', and that your bash (readline) has
somehow seen the window resize operation and wraps
input lines at the correct line width?

(Note that *output* lines - e.g., from a 'ls'
command - always wrap correctly for the size of the
window - no 'stty' or 'kill -WINCH $$' required.)

<http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/>
ARCHIVE SEARCH: <http://www.delorie.com/archives/> OR
                <http://www.eGroups.com/list/gnu-win32/>