Re: cygwin and GnuPro

Earnie Boyd wrote in message
<19990504114555.6884.rocketmail@web601.yahoomail.com>...

>I don't know anything about GnuPro but the Cygwin product is wonderful.  I
use
>it daily and it's becoming more robust.  I see from the next sentence that
>you're a Linux _user_, what exactly is your intended use?

I develop simulation software and I require the speed of Linux, the
comfortable
development environment of UNIX (I'm not a GUI guy) and the
cost-effectiveness
of a standard PC platform.

>Comes close but can't ever be exact.  The MS File Systems prevent Cygwin
from
>being exactly like Linux.  One of the first things you'll want to do is to
move
>the files to a more common directory tree.

How does this work?  What is the root directory (C:\) ?

>You'll need to create the import libraries so that they appear to be UNIX
>static like libraries but you should be able to call those from cygwin but
not
>vice versa.

What is an import library and what does it entail?  Can I do all this
from the gcc that is supplied with Cygwin?

>I believe that you can with even a 30 day trial but license for the trial
is
>required.  GnuPro is a commercial product, you will be required to buy a
>license if you decide to use it.  The GNU part, namely Cygwin will always
be
>free.

>No.  I think that it's typical.  Maybe you should suggest what should be
>changed.

I'll come up with a list!

Thanks for the links in your sig.  I'll investigate them now.

Furthermore, let me thank you for all the answers!

Saracen