Re: .dbg using REBASE

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Pankaj Gupta wrote:

> I ported a set of files from LINUX to WINNT successfully, using
> the cygwin tools. Now I wish to generate a .dbg file from my .exe file
> (actually, I just need a symbol file - one of
> .dbg, .map, .hdr, .pdb will work.)
> I saw that rebase could be used to do it? If yes, how.
> I have built my .exe using gcc. Any pointers/ideas would be greatly
> appreciated.

GCC does not support writing out external symbol files like MSVC does
(it is quite a nice feature actually!), and, more to the point, GCC does
not support MS-specific debug format. As usual, until someone contributes
the code, it shall remain that way. Not knowing anything about DBG format,
I can't comment how difficult a task this is.

You're right that REBASE can extract the debug info from an executable/DLL
into an external .DBG file, but of course you need to have the debug info
in the right format to beging with.

Can you tell us what you're trying to do? There may be other ways
to achieve it.

Regards,
Mumit