RE: Cygwin license

But a good plan is having Cygwin get some Kbucks (I've heard 8K$? is
that true) to allow "produce proprietary applications based on the
cygwin DLL"?... This seems a bit hard to defend:

Either you are strongly supporting open source and do NOT want anybody
producing proprietary code based on cygwin and then you should stop
selling licenses to cygwin that allow that; either you think this is not
immoral and then you should not CHARGE a fee for that...

It seems having cygwin GPLed has only one objective: subvert the open
source concept by getting people test and enhance a piece of code that
is in fact proprietary Cygnus software that generates revenues to Cygnus
by selling licenses to use a GPLed product.

Excuse me if I'm a bit confused, but the situation is confusing...

Best regards,

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingéniérie
97 bis, rue de Colombes