gdb under EMACS - only works on drive C:

I've been using gcc + gdb under EMACS for a long time with no trouble, but
have just noticed a problem. I can't debug a program that's on a drive other
than drive C: (I've never tried this before). Here's what happens when I try
running d:\scratch\amput.exe:

*gud-amput.exe* window:

Current directory is d:/scratch/
GNU gdb 4.17.1
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i586-cygwin32"...
(gdb) break main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x401077: file amput.c, line 31.
(gdb) run
Starting program: //D/scratch/amput.exe
bff30000:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/GDI32.DLL
bff60000:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/USER32.DLL
bff70000:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/KERNEL32.DLL
bfed0000:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/ADVAPI32.DLL
61000000:/CYGNUS/CYGWIN-B20/H-I586-CYGWIN32/BIN/CYGWIN1.DLL

Breakpoint 1, main (argc=1, argv=0x2590f40) at amput.c:31
(gdb)

So far so good, except that in the source window, a NEW file amput.c is
created and displayed. Emacs seems to think it's called
d:/D/scratch/amput.c.

Any idea what's going wrong?

Richard Stanton