Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey

DJ Delorie wrote:
> The reason I specified full sources for all application is because
> when you build an application with cygwin, the resulting binary always
> includes sources from cygwin (namely, the startup code and import
> library stubs), so all applications thus compiled must be distributed
> under the terms of the GPL.

Possibly. American courts have *sometimes* held that, for purposes of
interoperation with other software and/or hardware, you can ignore
licensing terms/copyrights that would prevent that interoperation. Has
the GPL ever been tested in an appeals court for Windows .DLLs and the
associated .LIB files? If not, we're guessing what would happen.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
President Clinton was acquitted; then again, so was O. J. Simpson.