Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 09:11:57PM -0500, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
>.
>>>
>>>If the program is not built using the cygwin stub, but /does/ link to the
>>>DLL using the OS' dynamic linking facility, does it still have to be
>>>distributed under the GPL?
>>
>>I am not an expert but I believe that if you avoid using libcygwin.a and
>>(more importantly) crt0.o then you'd probably be safe.
>
>The crt0.o and cygwin1.dll comes with another commercial compiler too.
>I do not think the GPL is valid there, to get that you need to pay first???

If someone is distributing code which incorporates our crt0 file then it
*must* be GPLed.

If they are just distributing the crt0.o module and cygwin1.dll then they
must make source code available for both.

cgf