Re: Time taken for ls -la --color=yes

---Timothy Reaves <> wrote:
> >>       When I execute this on my machine, a dual PII 266 with 192
> >> memory & a Seagate Cheeta 10,000rpm hard drive, with three other
> >> applications running (Netscape, mail, a data conversion app), it
> >> takes a good 1.5 to 2 seconds to display a directory with fewer
> >> 60 entries.
> >>
> >>       Is this normal?
> >
> >Just the first time, or every time?
>      For a directory with 83 entries, the first display took 2.5
seconds. After that the time was 'normal'.  Dir under a DOS windows
has no perceptable delay.

If you add the color or F switches then the CYGWIN1.DLL has to
determine the type of file.  It will be opening every regular file
listed and reading a line from the file in order to determine the type
of the file.  You can imagine the overhead involved in this.
-- --

PS: Newbie's, you should visit my page.
Get your free address at

Want to unsubscribe from this list?