Bash frustrations ( ctrl-Z & C )

I know this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find it in FAQs
or archives.  How do you get the 'tty' mode to work.  I have the newest (
B20.1 ) package installed.  I was under the impression that this line in my
.bashrc:

CYGWIN=tty binmode

would do it.  I have tried many variations like:

CYGWIN=  tty binmode or:
CYGWIN='  tty binmode'

to no avail.

I use the Cygwin package mainly for the bash port and gcc so getting this
to work would be wonderful.

Thanks,

-steve

-