Re: win32 popen clone for mingw32 anyone?

Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.edu> writes:

> On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Douglas Steele wrote:
>
> > Guido Masarotto <guido@sirio.stat.unipd.it> suggested the following to
> > me "BTW, the djgpp libc contains an emulation of popen which
> > perhaps can be used by Mumit Khan...  maybe you can signal it to him."
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I'll take a look, though I doubt if it will work
> with mingw32. I took one out of Perl Win32 module and modified it a bit to
> make it work with mingw32 without perl library. Only tested it with simple
> stuff, and so far seems to work.
>
> I finally had a chance to try out windres on 5 different Win95 machines
> running various OS versions -- from Win95 initial to the latest and
> greatest. I still cannot reproduce this problem. Kind of hard for me
> to fix if I can't reproduce. I'm using windres from binutils-2.9.1, so
> maybe that's the difference? I've uploaded binutils-2.9.1 for others to
> try out.

The original source of these problems was Guido's port of R, so you
may want to pick up R-0.61.3 and his patches from a nearby CRAN site,
e.g. http://cran.stat.wisc.edu/

I suspect that the problem was that the resource file did an

#include <windows.h>

which kills windres at the 1st typedef (is that a bug, BTW?) - this
happens when crosscompiling too. Then with the receiving end of the
pipe dead, the pipe spills into stdout.

~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk)             FAX: (+45) 35327907
-