Re: Compiling egcs

>> i thought it egcs produces code for unix (a.out/elf/coff --
>
>It produces code according to the target system, which is the same as the host
>system, unless you build it as a cross compiler.  On cygwin32, the .o files
>are actually .obj files, although there may be differences in linkage symbol
>names from other Windoze compilers.  When linked together, they make a .exe
>file, which normally looks for .dll files.
>
> what other
>target machines is it able to output?
>
>In principle, you should be able to build a cross compiler for any target for
>which you have the necessary configuration files.  I'm on shaky ground there.
>Of course, some people make their cygwin and mingwin compilers by cross
>compiling on Linux.  gnu compilers have to be built separately for each
>combination of host and target, aside from minor variations like those
>provided for by -m options.

i tried to read the EGCS FAQ about this and here's what i got...

"EGCS with Windows
egcs does not currently support windows, either natively or with the cygwin32 dll. However Mumit Khan has been working on supporting
Windows with egcs. You should check out his site if you're interested in Windows support."

i have the source for egcs 1.0.3a.  ok, i also checked out Mumit's
site, but i couldn't find the 1.0.3a specific patch, question:
can i use the 1.0.2 patch to 1.0.3a?  anyway, i just tried my luck
in compiling it and guess what? -- it didn't work!
it didn't even configure.  error during the configuration is:
-----o-----
: command not founda/configure:
: command not founda/configure:
: command not founda/configure:
: command not founda/configure:
: command not founda/configure:
: command not founda/configure:
/usr/tmp/egcs-1.0.3a/configure: line 34: syntax error near unexpected token `$$)
'
/usr/tmp/egcs-1.0.3a/configure: line 34: `export PATH || (echo "OOPS, this isn't
'sh.  Desperation time.  I will feed myself to sh."; sh $0 $argv; kill $$)
btw, my sh is bash, CYGWIN32=ntea.  did i miss something here?
what did i do wrong?

for swong@visionp.co.nz: were you able to make it work?  how did
you do it?

btw, what is the difference between objective c and c++?

jjd

-