RE: GIMP anyone?

> Two remarks:
> Firstly, there is a function in Gimp --no-shm that you could use when
> starting a program - it's work for me on FreeBSD (everyone could see that
> the Gimp's loading is significantly slow down), but it's no work on Cygwin
> with or without IPC package - it's hanging up in script-fu module. Did you
> try to comment all shm things out? It'll be the greate contribution to
> Cygwin  ported application list.
> The second: it could be more efficient to produce a shared dll for GTK and
> Gimp - it takes over 50 mb on my hard drive - too much for buggy port!

Although I saw the --no-shm option, I never bothered trying to use it... I knew
that the compilation would fail for lack of ipc and shm.  Instead, I went
through the code (it really only affects 2 or 3 modules), and strategically
commented out sections of the code related to shm management.  You can get away
with this because all of the shm handling in GIMP is controlled by a variable
(use_shm, or something similar) that is initialized to -1.  The value of this
variable will only be changed if shm functions are successfully called, and the
code checks this variable before trying to do anything with shm.  The result is
that by commenting out the code, thereby ensuring that the value of the
variable stays -1, you effectively eliminate shm from the app.

As to your second remark, Craig Setera (see elsewhere on this list) tells me
that he has managed to create dll's for one or more of the GIMP libraries.  I
think he is still working on perfecting this... contact him for more info.  I
agree that 50 MB (or more) is too much for a buggy port.  On the other hand, if
I could just figure out how to fix the plug-in problems, it wouldn't be so
buggy!

Alexander Stockdale

-