RE: phantom file "aux" under bash b19

> Michael Hirmke writes:
> > There are a few of those special files: con, com<x>, lpt<x>, ...
>
> Having these files is *every* directory seems excessive.
> (I've run into this problem, especially ``aux''.)
>
> Surely they could be absolute?
> 	/con, /com<n>, /lpt<n>, etc...
>
> or even a touch unix-ish
> 	/dev/con, /dev/aux, etc...

You don't understand. Cygwin doesn't create these names; ideally, cygwin
could make them completely unmagic.

Unfortunately, the magic meaning of those names is hardcoded into Win32.
There's no way to avoid the problem if you use Win32 APIs, which cygwin
does.

The MS POSIX subsystem doesn't have trouble with those names because it is
implemented on top of the native NT API and doesn't use Win32 to open files.

Jason Zions
Softway Systems
(The fine folks who bring you OpenNT)
-