Re: setting up coolview (was: make problems (b18 and mingw32))

>Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:55:40 -0500 (EST)
>From: "John A. Turner" <John.Turner@POBox.com>
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>CC: earnie_boyd@hotmail.com
>Subject: setting up coolview (was: make problems (b18 and mingw32))

<snip>
>Well, I think I've decided not to wait for b19, even though I'm sure
it's
>right around the corner.
>
>So although I've been putting it off for a long time, I think I'll go
>ahead and give Sergey's coolview a try.  Which means that now I have to
>really try and understand what is meant by "making mounts text=binary".
>
>I've been on the list for a long time, so I've seen many of the posts
>about this issue, but I remain confused.  I had thought there might be
>more explicit instructions at Sergey's site, but I didn't see any.  So
>let me see if I can construct a step-by-step guide to using coolview,
>and I'll insert questions where I'm confused.
>
>[I'll use unixish commands]
>
>o Downloaded coolview.tar.gz.  It contains:
>
>  bash.exe
>  cygwin.dll
>  libcygwin.a
>  ps.exe
>
>  Assume we put them in c:/gnuwin32/coolview
>
>o Rename corresponding b18 versions:
>
>  cd /gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin
>  mv bash.exe bash-b18.exe
>  mv ps.exe ps-b18.exe
>  mv cygwin.dll cygwin-b18.dll
>  cd ../i386-cygwin32/lib
>  mv libcygwin.a libcygwin-b18.a

a copy of the cygwin.dll is in this ../i386-cygwin32/lib directory.
Just delete it, it is not needed.

>o Copy new versions into correct locations:
>
>  cd /gnuwin32/coolview
>  cp bash.exe ps.exe cygwin.dll ../b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin

cp bash.exe ../b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/sh.exe

>  cp libcygwin.a ../b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/lib
>
>o Paths, env. vars., etc. should still be set correctly from b18.
>  For example:
>
>  set CYGNUS_PATH=C:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32
>  set CYGWIN_NOTITLE=1
>  set GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=%CYGNUS_PATH%\lib\gcc-lib\
>  set SHELL=%CYGNUS_PATH%\bin\sh.exe
>  set PATH=%CYGNUS_PATH%\bin;"%PATH%"
>
>OK, now what?  Questions about text=binary:
>
>o What exactly should be mounted text=binary?  mount currently shows:
>
>BASH.EXE-2.01$ mount
>Device           Directory           Type        Flags
>\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
>\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
>\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
>\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
>c:               /                   native      no-mixed,text!=binary
>
>  So all of these need to be unmounted and remounted text=binary?
>
>o Where's my d: partition in that output from mount?
>
>o I saved a post by Earnie Boyd from 1/8/98 in which he said:
>
>cd /gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin
>./umount /
>./mount -b c:\\ /
>
>./umount /bin
>./mount -b c:\\gnuwin32\\b18\\H-i386-cygwin32\\bin /bin
>
>./umount /all_the_other_directories
>./mount -b d:\\all_the_other_directories /all_the_other_directories
>
>  I do the first part of this and mount shows:
>
>BASH.EXE-2.01$ mount
>Device           Directory           Type        Flags
>\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
>\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
>\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
>\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
>c:               /                   native      no-mixed,text=binary
>
>  Great.  But although I have a c:\bin, when I try to do that part I
>  get:
>
>BASH.EXE-2.01$ umount /bin
>umount: Invalid argument

You have no /bin mounted.  ?What is in your c:\bin?  I believe the
original poster (don't really remember) had a /bin directory mounted.  I
"mount -b c:\\gunwin32\\b18\\H-i386-cygwin32\\bin /bin" then the scripts
can find /bin/sh when it needs it.  Note, commands tend to get confused
in you have a c:\bin and a mount point of /bin so don't have both.

>  What's happening there?
>
>  And could someone spell out exactly what all_the_other_directories
>  means?  Sorry to be dense, but I want to make sure I understand
>  what's happening here.

This was to indicate any other mount points that may have been mounted.
I suggest that you also:

mount -b a:\\ /a
mount -b c:\\ /c

>o Alright, now when exactly is all this mounting and unmounting done?
>  It must happen each time you boot, right?  So do you create a script
>  and put it in the StartUp directory or what?

The mounts are stored in the registry.  You will not have to do anything
else.  There is nothing to do at boot time.

>o OK, let's assume I've been able to do all those mounts correctly.
>  Now I need to do \r\n -> \n conversion on some files.  What, exactly?
>  .bashrc, plus any bash scripts, I guess.  I think I've also seen
>  mention of C/C++ source as well.  Correct?

Correct.

>Thanks in advance to whoever helps me (and whoever else might be
>confused).
>
>-John

---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-