Re: Initializing gnuwin DLLs

----------
> From: Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU>
> To: jeffdbREMOVETHIS@netzone.com
> Cc: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
> Subject: Re: Initialising gnuwin DLLs
> Date: Saturday, February 14, 1998 8:56 PM

> > >Step (C) is not necessary if you initialize it in dll_entry().
> >
> > I see what you mean, the comments in Makefile.DLLs 0.6
> > about initializing the _impure_ptr's from the main program misled me
> > I wondered why I was never able to get it to work :).
> > Do you think those could be changed to reflect
> > the current setup?
>
> Done.
>
> > If I understand correctly then the only changes to existing vc++ .dll
code
> > that would really need to be made, to link with libcygwin.a are to
> >
> > ( 1 ) add a .c file to the dll with just
> >
> > #ifdef __CYGWIN32__
> > void *_impure_ptr;
> > #endif
> >
> > in it
> >
> > ( 2 ) in the file that contains DllMain make sure to #include <stdio.h>
> > /* stdio.h already contains extern struct _reent *_impure_ptr; */
> >
> > (3 ) change
> >
> > BOOL WINAPI DllMain(HANDLE hDll, DWORD dwReason, LPVOID lpReserved)
> > {

> > #ifdef __CYGWIN32__
> > extern struct _reent *__imp_reent_data;
> > #endif
> > BOOL WINAPI DllMain(HANDLE hDll, DWORD dwReason, LPVOID lpReserved)
> > {
> > #ifdef __CYGWIN32__
> > _impure_ptr=__imp_reent_data;
> > #endif
>
> I'd be inclined to simplify this procedure slightly by combining (1) -
(3)
> into a single step:
>
>     change
>
> 	BOOL WINAPI DllMain(HANDLE hDll, DWORD dwReason, LPVOID lpReserved)
> 	{

> 	#ifdef __CYGWIN32__
> 	struct _reent *_impure_ptr;
> 	extern struct _reent *__imp_reent_data;
> 	#endif
> 	BOOL WINAPI DllMain(HANDLE hDll, DWORD dwReason, LPVOID lpReserved)
> 	{
> 	#ifdef __CYGWIN32__
> 	_impure_ptr=__imp_reent_data;
> 	#endif
>
> > if linking against the original B18 cygwin.dll/libcygwin.a you MUST
> > give a --image-base other than 0x10000000 even to relocatable
> > dll's, B18's cygwin.dll won't get relocated NO MATTER WHAT.
> >
> > Is that about it?
>
> That agrees with my understanding of things.
> Of course no promises ;-)
>
> --
> Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the
pursuit
> WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
> PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3         |     -- the last words of T. S.
Garp.
> -

Hi,

I've been quietly following this list for some time, haven't really had any
problems that I couldn't eventually overcome (w/list's help) till now.

Here's my problem:

Trying to initialize the cygwin32 runtime via a call from my own dll.
I've got a cygwin generated dll of my own home-brew that works fine in
delphi executables until I try to call malloc & the like.  So I've turned
to trying to init cygwin.dll from my dll.

I know about setting the reent pointer but that ain't gonna cut it if
contents never get initialized.  How do I reproduce the steps that happen
within cygwin.dll at the start-up of a gnu-win32 app.

I never have any trouble using my dll in gnu-win32 apps.

Thanks in advance.

da bisk.

-