IDEs (was: Please Help...)

Hey Curtis...  Yeah. I finally figured that out by looking through part of
the
doc's again. tehehe...  Anyway Another question for everyone.  Is there a
shell
program for gnuwin32?

Not specifically for GNU-Win32, available freely. In fact, this is where
Cygnus (the ever so belivolient (sp?) creators of GNU-Win32) makes their
money: they have an IDE for the system. It looks to be quite good, although
I haven't had a chance to use it as we're rather locked into MS's
environment here. You might be able to find a generic *nix solution to your
problem; for instance at the moment I'm trying to convince XEmacs to
compile for GNU-Win32 (if anyone has any experience with that, please let
me know). If I get that working, I'll send out an announcement: that could
be the kind of solution you're looking for.

  You see, I'm a college student learning C++ using
TC++
and/or DJGPP.
(TC at school, and DJ at home :)  and I'm really new to UniX and LinuX
commands.  I am a quick learner though.

Ahh. . . the days. . .

  I seemed to have went thought all
the
executible's and there seems to be no shell like RHIDE.  I thought gdb was
the
shell, seeing how it's 850k, but it seemed to be some other type of shell I
don't understand.

Correct. It's the debugger. Take the time to learn it. It's fairly
primitive as debuggers go these days, but there are some good GUI
front-ends to it (one I know is written in TCL/Tk, so it should work in
GNU-Win32, no experience with it). Even with just the command line
interface, it will cut your debugging time by an order of magnitude. It
will eliminate those stupid cout's of all of your variables. I wish that I
had spent more time learning it when I was at your stage.

  I'm doing the best out of everyone in my C++ class so
I'm not
code illeratate (but i can't spell) by far.

As I said before, the days. . .

  It's just I don't know how to,
let's say, write code in wordpad and then compile it with gcc without help
files
etc....

Ouu. . . Wordpad. . . bad way to edit source. . . Try Emacs: There's a link
to it from Cygnus's ported software page. There are also a ton of
programmer's editors out there: dl some evals and test them out. They're
worth the small outlay of cash (even for a starving college student). I
hate to say it, but I like MS's Visual editor the best of all the Win32
editors I've used. In fact, I used Visual J++ just for the editor (and
compiled w/ Sun's JDK) until VisualAge for Java came out. You should be
able to get VC++ at an academic price (which was like $99 when I got mine
four years ago).
You may also want to check the gcc infopage. This requires an info viewer.
This might be in the NT Emacs port mentioned above. Barring that, you
should be able to find the info on-line. I think gnu's site has their all
their info trees on it.

            Thanx for everyones help
            Jimmy McMillan

You're welcome,