Re: GNU RCS with MinGW32 or CygWin32

Hi Brendan,

I've attempted without success, so far, to port bash to Mingw32.  I'm
real interested in getting this accomplished so maybe we can work
together.  The main problems are the fork and wait functions.  There are
some other UNIX specific functions (you know, getuid, getgid, etc) that
can be easily stubbed but there are some that cannot.

Also the inode value from the fstat and stat is always returned as zero.
Don't blame Colin or JanJaap for that, that's the way that M$ designed
the function; even though there is a file index number that could have
been used.

I've been able to port to Mingw32 most of the fileutils, textutils,
sh-utils, and grep.  As an aside to this, you know the problems about
\r\n vs \n; well, with native compiled utilities, it seems that the
default open will read \r\n or just \n and will write \r\n.

To execute configure I currently start the cygwin bash with my
environment setup for cygwin, run configure, setup my environment for
Ming or EGCS and execute make -i -k >& make.log, take care of errors and
repeat the make process.  Occasionally I have to gcc by hand, which
isn't too bad if you do it in bash.  Example:

export CFLAGS="-c -g -O2"
for file in `ls *.c`; do gcc $CFLAGS $file; done

In this way I am able to compile all programs with one command.

As for djgpp, they have a 16 bit version of bash, crippled with 8.3
filenames.  They say they support long file names with special
environment variables but I've never gotten it to work.

My ideas for fork is to emulate it by calling one of the spawn or thread
functions (I haven't determined which might be better); for wait it is
to emulate it by calling the _cwait function.  For lstat I #define lstat
stat.  For the checking of inodes for the same file I am #ifndef
__MINGW32__ ... #endif around the code; this means that for "cat
thisfile > thisfile" you will end up with a zero length file, but, that
is the way it works on AIX unix.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com

add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.