Re: Newbie questions

On 06-Feb-1998, Francois Felix Ingrand <felix@laas.fr> wrote:

> - I grabbed and installed less. It works fine, exept that it keeps complaining
> about the terminal being too stupid... indeed, TERM is currently set to
> dumb... is there any better possible TERM setting?

Try TERM=ansi or TERM=linux.

> - I use NT CVS 1.9. They distribute their own diff, patch, grep , etc
> utilities. Which one should I use? Last night gnu-win32 patch failed to update
> a CVS file, so I am really wondering if I should not use the cvs patch...

This is probably text-vs-binary issues.

Do you have your file system mounted with mode "text=binary"?
If so, then you will probably have problems, because
(my guess is that) NT CVS will use the usual DOS/Windows
text file convention, i.e. "text!=binary".

On the other hand, if you *don't* have your file system mounted
with mode binary, you will probably have problems,
because much of the software has not been ported to work
with mode "text!=binary".

In other words, either way, you're likely to have problems ;-)

You might have more luck compiling cvs from the source code using
gnu-win32.  Then you could get a version of cvs that uses the same
mode as cygwin32 (in particular, that uses "text=binary", if the
filesystem is mounted that way).

But I don't know whether cvs has been ported to cygwin32;
if not, you may run into other problems.

> - is it possible to get bash in a scrollable window?

On NT, yes: just right-click on your dos window to edit
the display properties and set the scrollback length.
(Sorry if that description is a bit vague, I've been
fortunate enough to avoid Windows for a few months.)

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.