Re: bash-shell output

On 04 Feb 1998 17:07:50 -0800, Nils Goesche <ngo@wossolit.teles.de> said:
>You have to uncomment that fflush-line. But the usual shells
>like command.com or 4nt don't need that line. This is somewhat
>annoying. Can I at least force the shell somehow to flush
>input/output buffers? Some other programs are just unusable
>because of this behavior.

This is a consequence of the design of Windows (well, that combined with
the behaviour of the Microsoft C runtime library).

Most DOS/Windows compilers make stdout unbuffered if isatty() returns
true, and isatty() in turn calls GetFileType on the OS file handle - if
the handle is a console handle, then isatty returns true.

Emacs has to redirect stdin and stdout/stderr for subprocesses through
pipes so it can communicate with them, but cannot hide the fact that
the handles are pipe handles.

AndrewI

-