Re: Search engine?

Adam Taylor wrote:

> Actually, I didn't.  You're right, it doesn't come back with many hits,
> and none from the mailing list.  But the mailing list archives _are_
> searched.  A better example would have been:
>
> +ncurses +host:www.cygnus.com
>
> which comes back with ~70 hits, many from the mailing list archives.  I
> think 'curses' just doesn't occur in the mailing list archives as a
> word. i.e. set of by whitespace.  This is by using the engine at:
>
> http://www.altavista.digital.com/
>
> Adam

Altavista and the other big search engines only revisit a site about once a month or
so.  If they have any info from the mailing list archive at all, it's bound to be
fairly old.

The best solution would be to install something like Excite For Webservers
(http://www.excite.com/navigate/) on www.cygnus.com.  It's a free product, and could
reindex the whole site every day.  I've played around with it a bit and it seems
fairly easy to use.

-- derek

-