a really elementary question

Hi!

My last question got dispatched so quickly and insightfully that I've
decided to try one that's really been bothering me.  I'm running
b18 under Win95 (soon to migrate to NT, I hope).

Q: Should I be worried that the gcc compiler complains of an "internal
compiler error" after printing the error messages from an unsuccessful
compile?

For example, consider the obviously wrong program

main()
{
  int ix;
   ix=1;
   printf("This is a test: %d \n,ix);
}

The compiler gives the error messages (the file containing the code was
mtest.c) :

mtest.c:6: unterminated string or character constant
mtest.c:6: possible real start of unterminated constant
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 33

The compiler seems to work O.K., it caught the unterminated string.  I
was just wondering about that last line, that starts "Internal compiler
error:...".  Have I mis-installed something?  My naive guess is that
when the compile process terminates it sends a signal, and this signal
is getting trapped and processed as an "internal compiler error"
instead of a "normal stop, compilation terminated due to syntax
errors". I seem to get the same message with other syntax errors,
sometimes it says "ccl got fatal signal 33" instead of "cpp got
fatal signal 33", which might indicate that the preprocessor
caught one error and some other part of the compiler (lexical
analyzer??) caught the other.....

On programs that compile, the code seems to run O.K., maybe I'm
just being needlessly obsessive about this??????  Maybe there's
some (groan) documentation I should read too?

thanks
j.