b18 and the Java JNI with jdk 1.1.3

I'm trying to use b18 to implement some native Java functions with jdk 1.1.3
using the Java Native Interface.  Right now I'm at a point where I can write
native java functions that return any of the primitive Java types, like jint
or jchar, and everything works out fine.

But I'm unable to return actual Java objects (other than NULL --- that works
just fine).  When I do return a non-null Java object the program crashes.
I've tried returning unmodified objects that are passed in, and that doesn't
work either.

Has anyone else had any luck using the JNI with b18?

Thanks,
Robert Zeh
razeh@balr.com
-