How to get into bash?

Well this question may seem a little lame for this list seeing how most
of the mail i read from here is about the actual source and such, but my
question is a lot more general.

I downloaded and installed the gnu.. edited my autoexec.bat like it
specifies and i run the wish42.exe program and it opens up the console
and some smaller window.  Now my question is from there what is it do I
have to do to setup this program so that i can enter bash.  My whole
objective is to get into bash so that i can compile a MUD lib that i
currently have and i was recommended to download and use the gnu-win32
program to compile it.  If someone could mail me back directly or could
possibly point me to some docs somewhere I would be greatly
appreciative.  And I'll apologize in advance if these general type
questions aren't what this mail list is for.

Thanks in advance..
-