Re: Gimp on gnuwin32

"Has anyone gotten Gimp (Linux image processing) to work with gnuwin32?

First, it is not Linux image processing, it is general unix based.
In the lab we have it running on FreeBSD, Solaris, HP-sUX, Digital
Linux, etc....

Pete and Spencer (the main GIMP programmers) were thinking of doing
a native win32 version (actually, having someone else do it).  The
thought is that a porting library will be too slow, since there
are quite a few fork/vfork calls (at least one for each plugin opperation)
and alot of the X/shm is very platform specific.

"If so were there any tricks/patches required? Any advice?
"I'm pretty early into trying to get it to work, but it takes a day for
"my email to be posted, so I play the field.

Yeah, my advice: wait for the 1.0 release that should be less than three
months away.  There is no need porting it until then.  Also a native port
is almost a necessity, since the gimp is very performace based: it is,
after all, a photoshop emulator (read: wanna-be) and you wouldn't want
photoshop to be built using a porting library would you ?  That would be
too painfully slow.

jay
-