Re: cygwin32-b18-g77-0.5.19.1: patch and binaries

"Masahiro Kan, Home" <m_kan@ya2.so-net.or.jp> writes:

>     Thanks for your effort.  I have downloaded g77-0.5.19.1 binary for
> Cygwin32-b18 from your WWW page successfully.  I have tested briefly and
> it worked fine with some problems.
>
>    Test1: Electric field calculation program
>           Source code size    : 160kB   5.4klines
>           Executable file size: 178kB
>           Note :  Confirmed that bsearch bug is fixed.  Subroutine zwei
>                   was successfully compiled.  The execution speed is
>                   comparable with that compiled by g77-0.5.20 binary for
>                   Cygwin32-b17.1.

Well, not quite fixed. I just use a fixed version compiled into the binary
instead of using the buggy one from libc/cygwin.dll.

>    Test2: Alternative Transients Program
>           Source code size    :3.3MB  110klines
>           Executable size     :2.6MB
>           Note :  The execution speed is about 20% slower than that
>                   compiled by g77-0.5.20 binary for Cygwin32-b17.1,
>                   and has some problems when executed.

Could you please send me the bug report on the exact problem you're
having? You can run it under gdb and send me the backtrace, which
will be a good starting point.

As for performance, g77-0.5.20 is quite a bit better, but a the cost
of the following:

    - new bugs! Complex support is broken with -finit-local-zero and
      many others. If you end up using the backend complex (fno-emulate-
      complex), then the performance goes down again. And there is the
      question of aliasing in 0.5.20 that is new from 0.5.19.1, which
      requires quite a bit of backend mods.
    - backend changes which I'm not comfortable with, since I've been
      out of touch with gcc backend for a few years and too much has
      changed since.

I'll probably wait for 0.5.21 before I do anything further.

btw, you should check out a few of the code-generation options to speed
up the code (-fast-math and a few others).

Regards,
Mumit -- khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/

-