Tar problems

I have a number of problems with tar (build 17.1).

1) Trying to read or write from my floppy drive (eg
   tar cvf /dev/fd0 *.pl) gives the following error

     tar: Cannot open /dev/fd0: No such process

2) I often get the following message

      setgrent called, and it's not done yet.

   when creating a tar file.

Are there anyone who can tell me whats going on and how to
circumvent (1).

Thanks
Lars

--