RE: Mr Taylor surely understands ld: a correction to my previous post

Hi Jacob, you wrote:

: Mr Taylor writes:
:
: > ...the linker is able to generate an object file
: > format which is different from the input file formats.  For example,
: > this permits the linker to directly generate S-record output without
: > requiring a convertor.

What is an S-record, please?

: But WHY do we have to put the convertor and the linker in the SAME PROGRAM!!!
: In my view of things, it would be much better to have an easy to understand
: convertor to be used by systems programmers when they need S records, than
: to overload the linker with YET ANOTHER LEVEL OF COMPLEXITY!!!

In the same program, they can't get out-of-sync, when it's updated.
And nowadays, only the needed stuff is paged in.

Bye, Heribert (dahms@ifk20.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de)
-