Re: The Quest for lean binaries...

Hi Bernd,

I don't really have a good explanation for you of the current state (although
I'm sure someone on this list will!) but I can tell you what I've heard and
how you SHOULD be able to get smaller executables on NT.  Stripping
executables apparently strips too much, making the executable useless.  I'm
not sure why things would still be OK under 95 in this case.  Perhaps 95 is
too stupid to know it shouldn't like the executable!;-)  Anyway, from what
I've heard, you should be able to get a smaller executable by compiling a
non-debug version (rather than a debug version and then stripping it).  I
am, of course, assuming you are building a debug version and then stripping
it (which is essentially what happens behind the scenes with -s option).  I
have not myself heard of a resolution to the stripping problem though....

RFK Partners, Inc.                      (617) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (617) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181

-