Re: man? - solved

dahms@ifk20.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de wrote:

> Hi, you wrote:
>
> :  troff -man -Tascii bash.1 | grotty | less
>
> Isn't this the same as
>    groff -man -Tascii bash.1 | less
> ?
The NT/W95 groff port I'm using doesn't include the groff driver
program. According to the documentation, they haven't gotten that
working yet. So you have to set up the complete pipeline manually.

> Just wondering, because under Linux I'm used to
>    groff -man -Tps bash.1 | lpr
> for sending it to our PostScript printer, so boxes look better.
I got a nice printed copy of the bash pages with:

  troff -man -Tps bash.1 | grops > man_bash.ps

Then I had to issue an lp command on a Solaris machine to get it printed
out. From Windows applications, I can print directly to this same
Solaris printer via the Samba server running on the Solaris machine. I
wonder if there's a version of lpr for the gnu-win32 environment that
can print directly to the Solaris (System V) printer.

> For the curious, there's also -Tlatin1.A

I was wondering if you have man pages in German or other West European
languages which I assume you'd need that option for. Actually, I guess
there's no point in using -Tascii at all.

-- David
-