Advice on getting window manager, file manager and simple text editor to work

I'm trying to recreate the look and feel of a standard Unix X Windows system on my PC using Cygwin (something resembling the old CDE, or Redhat in functionality).

I've got Cygwin with X11 and openbox running, but a few problems stubbornly unresolved:

Openbox doesn't have a dock so if you minimize a window it's just gone.

There are suggestions to solve this problem with a toolbar application called tint2, however the latter doesn't build successfully on my Cygwin installation (Errors in cmake about compilers not working when in fact they are working just fine).

Another major item is some kind of file manager to run inside the Openbox root window.  Although I've installed the KDE and Gnome items available through cygwin setup-x86_64.exe, none of the file managers such as Nautilus, Thunar, KDE file manager etc. appear to be part of those installations.  I tried downloading a version of rox (rox-2.1.2-cygwin.tar.bz2) but installation failed (gcc apparently detects multiple incompatible declarations in part of the code).

Finally, I'd like a simple editor.  Have installed nedit, but get 'UTF8 locale not supported' followed by Segmentation fault when I execute it.

Any suggestions as to how I can get closer to a simple but workable desktop/file manager/editor for developing and Unix applications?

Thanks,
Wharton